If you’re stuck at home, or worried about commuting and being exposed to the coronavirus, have you considered applying for a job you can do from home?
- The kind of jobs you can do from home
- The most popular “work from home” jobs
- How to acquire the skills to work from home?
- How and how much will I get paid?
- Where to look for remote positions
- What it feels like to work from home
The kind of jobs you can do from home
Nowadays, you can find almost any type of remote work that pays well, especially if it is IT-related. Hundreds of WordPress companies are hiring remote workers.
Working from home allows you to keep your income, and to stay busy and productive without being worried about quarantines and catching viruses. In this article, we review the hottest “work from home” jobs, what it takes to get accepted, and who’s hiring today.
The most popular “work from home” jobs
Any job that you can do over the Internet without having to physically “touch” someone or something is a good candidate for a “work from home” job. While it’s practically impossible to give a massage over the Internet, almost everything else we do today, we can do from home.
These are the most popular “work from home” jobs:
|Work-from-home job||Needed skills|
|PHP developer||– PHP language|
– Automated tests
– Object-oriented programming
– Functional programming
– HTML and CSS
– React & Redux
– HTML, the DOM, and CSS
|UI/UX developer||– UI design|
– UX design
– HTML, CSS
– Image editing tools
|Graphic designer||– Visual design|
– Drawing skills
– Latest design trends
– Photo editing software
– HTML, CSS
|Software tester||– PHP|
– Automated tests
– Object-oriented programming
– Functional programming
– HTML and CSS
|Project manager||– Setting priorities|
– Productivity tools
– Cost control
– Risk management
|Technical and content writer||– Native speaker of the target language|
– Clear verbal expression
– Research skills
|Technical Support||– Basic PHP|
– Strong background in CSS and HTML
– Local debug
– Moving websites between hosts
|Marketers||– Written and spoken communication|
– Inbound marketing.
– Basic psychology
– Microsoft Office (documents and spreadsheets), GSuite
– Digital advertising experience
– Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
– Ability to tell a story
How to acquire the skills to work from home?
As you can see, working from home requires extensive skills. The good news is that you can learn most of these skills while you’re already at home. You can take online courses to get up-to-speed on all of the latest technologies. Many of these courses are free, while the rest are available at a very moderate cost.
How and how much will I get paid?
Salaries range based on position, education, years of experience and business field, among other factors.
Remote jobs don’t pay less than in-office or traditional ones, simply because they are remote. Some companies consider wages based on the remote worker’s location, while other jobs have similar pay ranges for everyone, regardless of location, and set the salary based on the role.
Here are some ranges to consider, if you’d like to apply for a remote job:
|Role||Monthly payment in USD|
|Blogger||10 to 25 USD/hour (This role is mostly paid per hour)|
Companies can pay you via different methods. Wire transfer, Payoneer, and PayPal are three of the most common ones. Before accepting an offer, it’s a good idea to check on this to be sure you will be able to get paid without any issues, or to set things up so that you will be paid on time.
Where to look for remote positions
The WordPress ecosystem is a great place to look for remote jobs. Since this industry grew as “remote first,” it doesn’t take any convincing to get a job from home. All you need to do is apply and show that you have the right skills. Working from home is the default for all companies on this list.
- GravityForms creates the forms that power many websites. If you’re looking at a WordPress site that has any form on it, there’s a good chance that it’s coming from Gravity Forms. They are hiring for three positions now: a senior developer, a senior designer, and a content marketer. “We consider your geographic location a non-issue. Hours are flexible based on your time zone requirements.”
- Modern Tribe manages teams that design and build software for Fortune 500 companies, governments, educational institutions, and well-funded startups. “We craft digital solutions that empower people and platforms.” They are the authors of the well-known Events Calendar WordPress plugin. Check out Modern Tribe: Five job openings. They have 130 employees who are all fully remote, with team members around the world. “As a hybrid workspace ranging from distributed contractors to traditional employees, we value the unique perspectives and experiences of our global team.”
- ElegantThemes.com has a flagship product: Divi. It’s the world’s most popular premium WordPress theme according to stats from BuiltWith.com. What makes it so popular? Divi is way more than a typical WordPress theme. It’s a website building platform that allows users to create gorgeous, effective websites without ever touching a single line of code. They have over 650,000 customers, and Divi is powering over 2.5 million websites around the world which positions it as the world’s #1 premium page builder. Bloom has over 114k installs, and Monarch has over 423k installs. They have two open roles: WP developer and Strategic Partners Manager. “Elegant Themes wouldn’t exist without the amazing team behind it. We currently have 100 employees placed in over 85 countries around the world.”
- WPMedia builds awesome WordPress products like WP Rocket, with 1Million+ sites, and Imagify, powering 450,000+ sites. They have people in France, Germany, Spain, Serbia, the USA, and Canada. They currently have four open roles to which you can apply here. “As we are a fully remote team, it’s vital that you are able to communicate clearly in technical and non-technical discussions using Slack messaging and video calls.”
- BrainStorm Force’s most well- known product is Astra Theme. They have a series of popular products and a huge list of dedicated services, world-class products, these include: Astra, the Ultimate Addons for Visual Composer, the iMedica theme, ConvertPlus, and more. They empower 700,000+ sites and are hiring for four different roles for Astra. “If you are seeking a place where creativity and innovation are at the core, then Brainstorm Force is the only place to be. Our DNA revolves around problem-solving, exploration, and passion to make the Internet a better, more beautiful place. Our culture is about fun. We work hard and party harder.” They currently have 15+ employees in Pune, India, and 10+ employees working remotely in different parts of the world.
- FormidableForms is a world-class drag-and-drop form builder for WordPress that makes it easy to create forms. Beyond that, Formidable can be used to search for and display submissions in a custom format that makes nearly anything possible. They have people in the USA, Africa, Ireland, Canada, the Philippines, and Ukraine, and are hiring a Senior PHP Developer “Work from your home. We’re spread out all over the world – the USA, Africa, Ireland, the Philippines, and more.”
- Undsgn is a creative ThemeForest Power Elite author team working hard to make the web faster and better looking. After more than a decade carrying out projects for clients, many of them garnering international awards, they decided to devote themselves to products solely dedicated to web designers and creatives. They’re powering 65,000+ sites. Their most popular theme is Uncode – Creative Multiuse WordPress Theme. They have three open roles: UX designer, support and back-end developer. “Our core team is located in Italy and support is worldwide – you can work from anywhere!”
- Yith Themes’ most popular plugins are POS (YITH Point of Sale for WooCommerce), Gift Card (YITH WooCommerce Gift Card), and Wishlist (YITH WooCommerce Wishlist) (which in its free version boasts 700,000+ active installs). They recently released Proteo, a completely free e-commerce theme. “Our team is made up of 30 employees from 5 different countries (the UK, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, and Greece). We have two physical offices, one in Italy (Acireale) and another in Tenerife (Santa Cruz de Tenerife), but we prefer remote work and smart working, many of our employees work from home.” More than 1.8 million people use their products. They are hiring a web developer and a community manager. “
- GiveWP – Fundraising built for the future. Most of their employees are located in North America – San Diego, Mexico, Pittsburgh, North Carolina, New York, Florida, and Canada. They have job openings for WordPress developers and support technicians. “We search for the best talent from all over the globe. Our headquarters are in sunny San Diego, California, but we’re proud to allow our employees to work remotely from anywhere.”
- Itthinx does affiliate marketing for businesses. The affiliate system provides the most powerful growth-oriented tools to run a successful Affiliate Marketing Program. They do not have specific roles open now, but are interested in finding great people, so you can reach out to them via this form and tell them what you excel at. “We are always open to great people who would like to join our team.”
- Artbees are the authors of the Jupiter Theme, which was ranked as one of the Top 10 WordPress Themes in the world and is used internationally by individuals across a broad spectrum of niches and sectors. “It has been our honor to have Jupiter featured in several prestigious design magazines and outlets as it continues to thrive towards being ranked one of the world’s Top 5 WordPress Themes.” They have three open roles now for web designers and developers. “Your meticulous attention to detail and out-of-the-box creativity may be just the ingredient we’ve been looking for!”
- SkyVerge is a leading partner developer for WooCommerce.com, with over 50 premium WooCommerce extensions available for sale. They are also hiring a PHP engineer and customer support specialist. Both are remote positions for candidates based in the USA. “We support workplace diversity and do not discriminate against any protected class. We believe when we work together as a team with different views, experiences, and ideas, we can build amazing things.”
- OnTheGoSystems is the company behind some of the most popular plugins in WordPress including WPML and Toolset. We’re a 100% remote company with almost 100 employees in over 40 countries around the world. We started as a remote company from day one. Our headquarters are our own home offices. We want candidates who are positive, driven, can self-manage, are able to work with minimal supervision, and show passion for WordPress and what they do. Find out what several openings you can apply for: developers (PHP, React..), QA engineer, and technical writer.
You can apply right now if you have the needed skills, or you can use the resources we shared above to get yourself better prepared for a remote position in the WordPress ecosystem.
What it feels like to work from home
Remote.co asked people from different companies about the benefits of working remotely. The replies always centered around the same benefits:
- flexible hours
- no commute
- no dress-code
- better productivity
One of the things people like the most is the chance to visit, and work from, new places. Yet for some, remote work became the solution to do precisely the opposite: staying in the coziness of one’s home while keeping a steady job and earning an income.